Wednesday, April 13, 2016

THE BOOTED BLOG INTERVIEW ::: MELANIE ORLINS

After yesterday's interview with Amy Lutz 
The Booted Blog is BEYOND THRILLED to be able to 
bring you an interview with the other half of FOX 43's 
Morning Anchors Extraordinaire
MELANIE ORLINS!!!
Melanie, Thank you VERY MUCH 
for allowing us to interview you!!
What do you think of the Blog?  
Have you had a chance to look at it much? 
If so, have you looked to see what other women in the television industry are wearing,not only in boots, but in clothes in general?
I love the booted blog! Us ladies here at FOX43 tend to look at it
often. I find it to be a nice break to all the crime and sadness 
that we see in the news business. It's also great to see what other
women wear! Over the years, the look has drastically changed from blazers and pant suits… now to skirts and dresses. Unfortunately I have dozens and dozens of blazers in an array of colors that now spend dark days in the back of my closet, so it's always great to get new ideas.
I know most everyone on the FOX 43 Morning News  
has heard of the Blog, but have any of your 
other colleagues in the business mentioned 
the Blog to you?  
How about Friends and Family?
If so, what are their reactions to the Blog?
It's so funny because my friends sent me a link from the blog a 
couple months ago. They thought it was hilarious that I was featured on the "booted blog" and that there is a blog out there devoted to "booted news women"! So now, whenever I'm included in a post I share it with them and we all get a good laugh. I will say… the blog has made me really consider my boot collection! And I've had to make a few extra purchases this boot season so that I'm not always caught wearing the same three pairs :+) But hey, I'm not complaining!
Did you know that the Blog has a Hall of Fame 
and that you were elected in this year?
I did! I am very honored! :+)
Have you always been a Boot Lover?
I have! Thanks to the blog, my closet has expanded a bit. I grew up 
always owning boots, whether it was cowboy boots or rain boots.
Do you always buy new Boots each fall 
when the new fashions come out?
I do! However, the best pair of boots I've ever owned was a pair I bought for 20 bucks. Once I wore them out, I bought them again the next year for 10 dollars! I'd call that a win!
ED NOTE: We would call that a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN!!

Where are your favorite spots to shop for Shoes and Boots?
I'm a big fan of Nordstrom, although shoes can get pricy there… I always try to find a good sale. Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls… I'm always open for new spots to buy boots!
Is there a certain pair of boots you wish you had? 
What is the Style, Color, Height, Heel?
envy those that have "over the knee" boots! I'd love to have a 
pair. Maybe I will consider buying them in the fall. I tend to 
gravitate toward black and brown boots, and nothing too high! 
don't keep my balance well on stilts!
Is there any style of Boots that women wear 
that you absolutely would NOT wear? Why?
Nope! I tend to like all boots. However, some folks 
are better at pulling off certain styles than I am!
You live and work in Central Pennsylvania. 
What can you tell us about the area? 
How is it different than other places you have lived and worked?
Why do we want to come visit Central Pennsylvania?
Central Pennsylvania is amazing. I have been here for three years and love it. I came from North Dakota, where boot season is in full swing 9 out of the 12 months of the year (mostly snow boots). Before that, I was in Tallahassee, Florida where cowboy boots are a staple. In Pennsylvania, you get to experience every season and on top of that the scenery is breathtaking. I love the country. Here, you get a good mix of city, but take a 5 minute drive and you'll find green grass and rolling hills for miles.
We read that you were born and raised in Virginia "Wine Country"
What part of the state is that and what are 
some wines from there that we should seek out?
I was born in Loudoun County, Virginia… it's about a 30 minute drive from Washington D.C. and known as Virginia Wine Country. I've met some folks who say Virginia wine is better than California wine (I believe it, but I'm biased). There are dozens of wineries along the wine belt that you'll definitely want to check out if you're ever in the area. Bluemont Vineyard and Breaux Vineyard to name a couple!
For a time you worked in Grand Forks, North Dakota, 
not too far from the Blog's Minnesota headquarters.  
Did you ever fully adapt to the winter weather?
After covering a house fire with wind chills that reached negative 
60 degrees… no. And I don't think anyone there can truthfully say they do unless you're a born and bred North Dakotan/Minnesotan. However, you "adjust". I found myself rolling down the windows and turning on the AC on a 20 degree day after spending a month in negative temps. I miss it dearly, nothing is sweeter than life in the upper midwest… 
even if the weather is brutal!
Is the news business in Pennsylvania any different 
than other places you have worked?
Every place is different, yet the same.
How old were you when you knew this is what you wanted to do?
I was eight. I love to tell stories and I've always wanted to make a 
difference in people's lives, which I believe is why many of us get 
into this business. I've always been one of those people that knew 
the news business was for me!
What advice would you give a young person 
just starting out in the business? 
I would make sure they're in the business for the right reasons. 
Although the TV business may seem fabulous from the outside, working your way up to a decent shift takes a lot of sacrifice, motivation and moxie. You must have a strong backbone and a strong support system both emotionally and financially.
During your career in this business what types of 
reporting have you been most passionate about?
Anything that makes a difference in people's lives. Whether it is 
sharing a heartwarming homecoming that puts a smile on people's faces or exposing tax delinquencies and holding city leaders accountable… 
I enjoy sharing stories that make an impact for the better.
What’s the typical work day for you? 
Is part of the next day’s show planned before you leave, 
or do you only prepare the day of the show? 
My alarm goes off at 1:05am… then I quickly change, brush my teeth & hit the road! I get in at 2 and go through scripts, talking things over with our producers. We have a 3am meeting to discuss our plan for the morning… weather, traffic and what reporters are covering. After I read the 4 and 5 o'clock shows, I start to get ready (hair & makeup we do ourselves), fill up my coffee cup and hop on the desk! It's always a morning of multitasking as I have to review the scripts for the 6, 7 and 8 o'clock hours from the anchor desk. We have our morning show interviews booked in advance, but that is about it!
There's a Saturday Night Live skit where three cast members play morning show anchors shooting promos for the week. They're bright and cheery while the cameras are rolling but don't talk to each other in between takes. There's Definitely GREAT chemistry on the Fox 43 Morning News. You all seem to converse, laugh and smile easily, it doesn't appear contrived at all. Is that chemistry something that can be manufactured or does it just happen organically? And how great is it to work in an environment like that?
I am so lucky to have the job I do. Amy Lutz is one of my best 
friends, and she will be for the rest of my life. There is something about sitting next to someone who has the true values of journalism that these days, are so rare. We have a lot of fun on the morning show, which is why I think our show is so special. Things are so brutal in the world, I hope people can tune in, get their news, weather & traffic, and start their day with a smile.
I know it’s a broad term but what’s the best part of social media as it relates to your field?  Is there anything about social media that makes it more challenging to do your job?
Ask anyone on the street and they'll say "oh I saw that on Facebook or Twitter," it's very rare that people wait until the 5pm news to get their information. So much of what is going on in the world these days is learned on social media. It's often the first thing we check when waking up in the morning, so it has quickly become a popular tool that we use. We are constantly checking Facebook and twitter and posting about things that are coming up in our show or new breaking information we're learning. It has just added another element to our jobs, and it certainly keeps us on our toes, which is a good thing!
Is there anything that your viewers and fans don’t know 
about you that would really surprise them?
I'm not sure… we share a lot with the folks who watch our show! I feel like they know a lot about me! It's hard to hide that I have a massive sweet tooth and that I'm a big sports fan!
ED NOTE: We begrudgingly congratulate Melanie and all other North Dakota hockey fans for their victory in the NCAA tournament.
Last question. Not that you want to leave FOX43, but if someone offered you the choice of these four jobs,which one would you take?  
1) Host of the Today Show      
2) A reporter on 60 Minutes 
3) Cast member on Saturday Night Live 
4) Host of a Travel or Food Network Show
I'd have a hard time choosing between #1 & #2. Anchoring the news is a very high honor, but it's the people you meet and the stories you share as a reporter that makes the job rewarding.
THANK YOU Melanie, VERY VERY MUCH, 
for taking the time for this interview.